Sunday 7 February 2010

Twitter vs. Facebook vs. my mind = Speedo’s and Count Duckula.

This has kept me up for endless nights thinking why Twitter is so popular. Now I can understand why Facebook is so popular as it has endless ways of keeping you occupied during those lazy, boring hours of the day, where doing anything that involves thinking of interesting thought provoking statuses and sharing to the world or just your friends, absolutely everything about you and your life. Actually if anyone bothered to come up to me to ask me, I would gladly tell them I am a Pisces and I live in a town called Birmingham. But actually I’m glad that that some people don’t come to me and ask me such questions, because I have been led to believe that talking to some one via a social interaction site, is just as good as talking to them to their face. I seem to have more confidence when speaking to people on Facebook, believing I can’t say anything stupid even though I have a status that clearly says “whoops I just farted on the bus”. With Facebook you eradicate the endless boring and sometimes nauseating conversations such as “what have you been up to today” when really you have nothing more you want to say other than “hello, how are you?” Facebook offers you the chance to be who you want to be, say what you want to say, and speak to who you need to or want to, without the nervous and nauseating meetings in life. But actually it is still a sad way to spend your precious time that we often complain that there is just not enough of in life, but actually if you try and evaluate how you actually spent each hour you may be pleasantly surprised by the amount of time we actually squander, but isn’t it fun! But Twitter really is the lowest ebb of time squandering. Twittering offers the chance to (fanfair sound) tell the world in a limit of 160 words (not precise. I will save that though to analyse for later) what your thinking, doing, going to do, looking forward to and that’s pretty much it, other than commenting on other tweets and follow people who you know or dream of knowing. Just like this blog you must be thinking (if you are insane enough to be reading this) is doing exactly what Twitter and Facebook do but without the limited word count and you would be right! But Twitter really annoys me as probably just like this blog no one will read it but, ha, ha if I were to be a celebrity I would have flocks of tweets and pokes and posts, saying how much u agree with my “James has just gone for a poo” status, and how you love me and enjoy watching my trials and tribulations as whatever character I portray in a soap or film, (whatever you should get the picture). When you actually think about it Twitter and Facebook etc is actually quite clever, and some genius has actually capitalised on something we do everyday. E.g. making friends, gathering friends, talking to friends and simplified it right down to a short sentence of what we want to tell those friends. This is without actually having to go through the ritual of texting or ringing them, seeing if they are free, arranging a date, going there, splashing the cash on and overly expensive tea and cake, only to tell them this short sentence which could be, how they have said or done something to offend you, or just to make them aware your ok, and you enjoyed your holiday. In fact social interaction sites cut out the middle man in the process of meeting up to show your nearest and dearest your holiday snaps. You can actually do it while you enjoy your tea in your favourite mug made to perfection, in your underwear, in your cosy bed, in a matter of minuets you can then reap the picture comments sent to you on your best Speedo pose! It’s ingenious but bloody annoying because you actually didn’t think of capitalising on such common ritual in life.
Well officially my rant is actually over, I believe I sufficiently covered in depth this constant sleep depriving offender that caused me to re-wind my DVD over 11 times last night.

To quote from Count Duckula (I like this quote)
“Goodnight out there, whatever you are”

1 comment:

  1. I like your analysis and am glad you made use of your time by sharing it with us. You are correct (on many levels) and I'm sure I will not be the only 'mad person' to take an interest in your blog.
    When you mention about the freedom to speak to whoever you want without the nervous and nauseating meetings - this is true - but is it also not true that the time to stop chatting on facebook is sometime unclear. I personally get distracted from my conversation totally and then realise that so and so has been 'flashing' at the bottom of my page for half an hour. Is this not teaching or more so allowing me to be totally rude!? I wouldn't just hang up or go quiet on a phone call just because the TV seemed more attractive. Ok maybe I would but at least I would tell them I was going to go. Maybe I need to work on my social skills.

    Anyway, I love your blog, I like your style and you make me smile.. What's more - we think alike and I don't often say that x

    Keep it up and er... sleep well x

    ReplyDelete